Ongoing History Daily: The time the cops crashed a David Bowie after-party

In the mid-70s, David Bowie was a mess. He was drinking a lot. His cocaine intake was off the charts. And he was convinced that he was some kind of alien who was being pursued by witches looking to steal his vital essence, which is why he took to storing his urine in the fridge. Oh, and for a while, he fell to less than 100 pounds because all he would eat for meals was milk and red peppers.

This being the 70s, the police were often curious about what sort of illegal things rock stars like Bowie were up to. On December 1, 1974, after the final show of the Diamond Dogs tour, there was a party. It was decadent.

Suddenly, a bunch of plainclothes cops armed with handguns broke down the door. Bowie retreated to a bedroom where he was able to flush his stash. Whatever was left was claimed by Bowie’s bodyguard, Tony Mascia.

He took the rap for his boss, keeping Bowie from being arrested on serious drug charges.

© 2026 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Ongoing History Daily: Amy Lee's contest-winning father

Before there was X Factor and all the Idol and Got Talent TV shows, there was The Gong Show. It was conceived as an insane half-hour of absurdity by TV executive Chuck Barris. It debuted in 1975 and ran for 500 episodes.

There was often nothing serious about the amateur contestants who performed for the panel of judges. If they couldn’t stand you, one of them struck a big gong and your time was done.

John Lee was a radio DJ who also played in a band called The Hard Luck Band. In about 1979, John appeared singing a cover of The Eagles Desperado. Much to his surprise, the judges loved his performance, and he won that particular episode, escaping with his dignity and a little cash.

Why do I mention this? Because John Lee is the father of Amy Lee of Evanescence.

© 2026 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Ongoing History Daily: What was this classic album cover trying to say?

One of the great things about vinyl is that you have a 12×12 palette on which to create artwork that says something about the release.

For example, everyone knows the cover for Nirvana’s Nevermind with the naked baby underwater in a pool chasing a dollar bill on a fishing hook. What’s the message? The designer Robert Fisher wanted to make a punk rock statement about the evils of late 20th-century capitalism mated with the cynicism felt by the Gen Xers of the day.

Nirvana loved the concept because it captured their anti-corporate feelings. It has become one of the most famous album covers of all time.

© 2026 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Trump pauses tariffs on Canada, cites pending trade deal

WATCH: Trump pauses tariffs on Canada, cites pending trade deal

U.S. President Donald Trump says he is pausing for three days the new tariffs that were set to hit Canada just after midnight, after announcing that the two countries have reached a trade deal.

In a Truth Social post Tuesday evening, Trump wrote: “I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL! The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave! Thank you for your attention to this matter. President DONALD J. TRUMP”

The announcement comes after Canada and the United States reached a trade agreement, avoiding a fresh round of sweeping 50 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods that Trump had threatened last month.

In a statement Tuesday evening, Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada and the United States had made “substantial progress” in trade negotiations, but cautioned that “important work still needs to be done.” He said Washington had agreed to postpone the 50 per cent tariffs until the end of Aug. 21 while talks continue.

Trump pointed to the Keystone XL pipeline in his initial social media post, quickly following with a fictional image of him slamming an illustration of the pipeline into the ground.

Former president Joe Biden signed an executive order to revoke the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, which would have transferred oil from Alberta to Nebraska, on his first day in office. Trump returned to office set on changing that decision. Earlier this year, he signed an executive order for permits to revive parts of the Keystone project.

It’s not clear how much of the trade talks between Canadian and American officials focused on the energy project. Carney spoke with Trump by phone Tuesday, hours before the U.S. was set to bring in the tariffs.

Ottawa’s efforts were led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, who were in Washington, D.C. trying to work out a deal with their American counterparts.

By reaching a deal, Canada is set to avoid the 50 per cent tariffs on roughly $28 billion worth of Canadian goods that were scheduled to take effect at midnight. The levies targeted a wide range of products, from hockey sticks and honey to wine and cement.

Canadian officials were also looking to see relief on existing tariffs that target steel, aluminum, lumber and autos.

It remained unclear late Tuesday what had been agreed to under the tentative agreement Trump announced.

-with files from The Canadian Press

 

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

B.C.'s honey producers brace for the sting of 50% new tariff from the U.S.

The owner of a local honey farm says a 50 per cent tariff by the U.S. will have a devastating impact on the industry. The additional tariff on billions of dollars of Canadian goods is scheduled to come into effect tonight unless a deal is reached. Ben O'Hara-Byrne has more.

B.C.’s honey producers are bracing for the sting of new 50 per cent tariffs as more than half of Canadian honey exports go south of the border.

“That means for Canadian beekeepers, they have to lower their price to be able to move it to the U.S.; that’s a disaster, I will tell you. Lots of beekeepers will go bankrupt,” Iman Tabari with BCB Honey Farm said.

The U.S. is threatening tariffs on $28 billion worth of Canadian exports, from dairy to alcohol to plywood and honey.

B.C. has an estimated 13 per cent of the share of those exports, which is more than any other province.

The deadline for those tariffs to be implemented was 9 p.m. Pacific time on Tuesday. Around 7:30 p.m. PT, U.S. President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that he has paused the tariffs for three days as the U.S. and Canada have a deal about the Keystone XL Pipeline, subject to finalization of documents.

But that still leaves B.C. businesses on shaky ground.

“B.C., Quebec and Ontario would be the provinces that would be most damaged by these 338 tariffs, and those, of course, are important provinces both politically and for the entire economic engine of Canada,” Lisa Raitt with the Canada-U.S. Economic Relations Advisory Committee said.

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday, but his office did not disclose any details of those talks.

Global News has learned that sticking points include auto and lumber tariffs.

“Resolving the lumber tariffs will enable prosperity. If we have additional tariffs, it’s going to be very difficult for the Canadian industry and it’s going to add significant costs to U.S. consumers,” Kim Haakstad with the Council of Forest Industries said.

Premier David Eby says businesses hit by new tariffs can turn to a $1.5 billion federal emergency support fund, but with a record deficit, it’s not clear how much more the province can do to help.

“If these tariffs come into effect this evening or tomorrow, we’ll certainly have more to share and we’ll certainly be there to support those forestry businesses and those value-added businesses,” Ravi Parmar, B.C.’s minister of forests, said.

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Tesla crash shuts down Sea-to-Sky Highway northbound for a few hours

A single-vehicle accident involving a Tesla shut down the northbound lanes of the Sea-to-Sky Highway on Tuesday afternoon.

The highway is now open, but it was closed after a Tesla ended up on its side just after noon, near Strachan Point in Lions Bay.

B.C. Emergency Health Services said one of the people in the vehicle was taken to the hospital in stable condition. They did not provide any information about if that was the driver or a passenger.

The barriers along the Sea-to-Sky Highway prevented drivers from being able to turn around.

In July, B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation said the government is always looking at ways to improve the province’s highways after a lengthy closure on the Sea-to-Sky Highway following a crash.

At the time, Mike Farnworth said they “want to remind people it is a dangerous stretch of highway and to drive to the conditions and the speed limit on the road.”

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

A look at Manitoba's first safe consumption site 1 week after opening

It's been a week since Manitoba's first safe consumption site opened its doors, and the community is still split on whether it will be effective at tackling the drug crisis. The province says it's working as intended and will keep people safe, while others believe the harm reduction approach is only prolonging the pain for users. Vasilios Bellos reports.

More than 125 people have utilized Manitoba’s first safe consumption site during its inaugural week.

Located at 366 Henry Ave., the concept sparked a stark divide between some who viewed it as a valuable harm reduction tool and others who believed it would promote drug use and negatively impact the surrounding neighbourhood.

For one outreach organization, the addition has been effective so far.

“It’s going well, people are using the site,” says Main Street Project executive director Jamil Mamood.

“We think it’s important people understand what’s happening and why it’s important, and also know that people need this service to stay alive. If that’s the best way to do it, then we should be providing it.”

The province has stressed since the opening date of the site was first floated that it’s not a location where drugs would be provided. Instead, users bring their own products and can take them and be supported should issues arise.

Still, some believe the site is part of an approach by the province that’s far too lenient.

That includes Joseph Fourre with the Singing Red Bear Foundation, an organization aimed at raising drug poisoning awareness.

“I’ve always talked about a balanced approach to the opioid crisis and part of that is treatment, part of that is enforcement, and part of that is public awareness,” explains Fourre. “None of those other three pillars are being activated in this province. They put all their cards on harm reduction and, in my opinion, it’s only prolonged the agony of addiction.”

When utilizing the site, the province says users can access primary health care and addictions and housing supports.

The consumption site is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre. No one from the organization was available for an interview, but a statement was provided to Global News.

“Throughout its first full week of operation, the site provided immediate access to crucial harm reduction resources, including the successful administration of on-site drug checking services. Beyond the immediate medical benefits, the facility has quickly established itself as a trusted environment for vulnerable individuals.”

The statement goes on to say the work has been a collaborative effort between government, sector agencies and first responders.

According to the city, this April saw 810 emergency responses to drug poisonings. That’s more than triple the amount in the same time period last year.

 

 

 

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Winnipeg commercial break-ins blamed on 2 men wearing ankle monitors

Two suspects are charged with breaking and entering, and stealing around $140,000 worth of items around Winnipeg and Headingley, while wearing court-ordered electronic monitoring bracelets. Toni De Guzman has more on the effectiveness of the monitoring program.

After two men accused of breaking and entering and stealing around $140,000 worth of items around Winnipeg and Headingley were detained Tuesday, both of whom were wearing court-ordered electronic monitoring bracelets, the effectiveness of such monitors is in question, experts say.

“There’s no guarantee that anyone will not re-offend. There’s no guarantee that the police or corrections agents will roar off as soon as someone violates,” said Michael Weinrath, a University of Winnipeg Criminal Justice professor.

Monitoring devices are equipped with a GPS system, allowing law enforcement to be notified of an offender’s location in real time and issue alerts if they enter a prohibited area, according to the province.

The province has previously said 60 per cent of individuals with ankle monitors were rearrested and breached in October 2025.

There are 194 ankle monitors in use, a provincial spokesperson said on Tuesday.

Watch the video above for the full story.

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Government spending questioned as SRO still open while businesses are closing

Another twist in the story of the Luugat SRO in Vancouver, which is still home to a single occupant, with the provincial government seemingly unable to convince him to leave. As Kristen Robinson reports, a local urban planner says the province will likely lose millions on the building.

There are concerns being raised about government spending in B.C. in connection with some struggling businesses and an almost empty SRO hotel.

The Broadway Subway Project has already caused business owners in the area to express frustration with long delays and declining revenue.

Now, SportCheck has announced it is about to close its Mount Pleasant location and small family businesses dealing with reduced foot traffic are having a difficult time making ends meet.

The Business Improvement Association says it is a frustrating and common refrain.

“Because there is no compensation policy, they’re not doing anything here,” Neil Wyles, the executive director of the Mount Pleasant BIA, said.

“And policy is just that, it can be changed. Governments change policies all the time, but they have dug in on this one and they’re using it as a shield, an excuse to do nothing.”

The B.C. government has said there will be no compensation for these merchants.

Housing Minister Christine Boyle is the local MLA and her office is across the street from the closing SportCheck.

“These businesses are looking for a lifeline; they’re looking for some help; they’re not looking for handouts,” Wyles said.

He also questioned why Boyle is allowing her ministry to spend more than $100,000 a month to operate an SRO building on Granville Street with one resident, but has no money for taxpayers in her riding.

The Broadway Subway Project was originally slated to be finished in 2025, but will not be complete until 2027.

There are also questions about how much taxpayers paid for the Granville Strip SRO Hotel, which is still open a month and a half after the province promised to close it.

BC Housing bought the former Howard Johnson Hotel, now known as the Luugat, in 2020 for $55 million. At the time, the combined assessed value of the building and an adjacent parking lot included in the deal was $38.6 million. Both sites are now assessed at approximately $27 million.

Urban planner and retired architect Michael Geller said governments often pay more than their properties are worth when they intend to create supportive housing.

“I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume the province will lose about half of what they paid for this property,” he said.

“When I say the province is losing half, what I’m really saying is the taxpayers of British Columbia are losing half of what was spent on this building and that ignores all the other costs that have been associated with it over the years.”

Global News asked B.C.’s housing ministry why the Luugat purchase price was higher than its assessed value.

The government said that B.C. Housing received an independent appraisal before purchasing and ended up buying the site for less than the appraised value, which it did not disclose.

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Calgary Chamber says trade negotiations 'a tipping point' in relationship with U.S.

Business owners in Alberta are bracing for a round of 50 per cent tariffs that includes a swath of products formerly exempt under the CUSMA agreement. As Skylar Peters reports, one startup founder says it's not just about the money today - it also affects the ideas of tomorrow.

As negotiations surrounding Donald Trump’s threat to impose a 50 per cent tariff on many Canadian imports tick down to the wire, the Calgary Chamber of Commerce said Alberta business owners are “very concerned” and “see this as an important signal on whether Canadian and U.S. trade is going to normalize or whether this is in fact going to continue to be the new normal.”

The Calgary Chamber of Commerce's vice president of policy and external affairs, Ruhee Ismail-Teja, says Alberta business owners are concerned the current state of trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. could be "the new normal."

The Calgary Chamber of Commerce's vice president of policy and external affairs, Ruhee Ismail-Teja, says Alberta business owners are concerned the current state of trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. could be "the new normal."

Global News

The Chamber’s vice president of policy and external affairs, Ruhee Ismail-Teja, said the “uncertainty in the trade relationship” over the past 18 months has forced many Canadians to adapt their businesses, attempting to focus more on internal trade (within Canada), finding new markets and new opportunities, adding the results of the current negotiations will “solidify” how they’re looking at the U.S. market over the long term.

While Ismail-Teja said provincial and federal governments have done a lot of work over the last 18 months to make sure that Canadian businesses are in a better spot, there are still a “significant” number of businesses who are reliant on the U.S. as a key export market and expanding markets within Canada is “not as easy as we think it needs to be.”

That, she said, along with things like higher tariffs and energy prices, has had a negative impact on business confidence.

“For anyone who’s looking to expand outside of Alberta, because there’s so much uncertainty as soon as you go outside of our borders, we also see that things like having CUSMA (Canada U.S. Mexico Free Trade Agreement) exemptions no longer in place really does disrupt businesses and the things they thought were stable no longer are and that does put a damper on the economy.”

Going forward, Ismail-Teja said, all levels of government must focus on not just restoring the Canada-U.S. trade relationship, but also a a much broader vision of regulatory competitiveness, labour mobility, improved supply chains, new trade agreements and new export markets with other countries.

© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories